Why Give to the Lighthouse of Broward
The Lighthouse of Broward is a four-star rated charity from Charity Navigator.
We also hold the GuideStar Platinum Seal of Transparency since 2017, which is GuideStar’s highest level of nonprofit transparency. The GuideStar Exchange is the only program that encourages nonprofit transparency on a national scale and allows nonprofits to supplement the public information available from the IRS. Visit our GuideStar profile.
The Lighthouse of Broward serves over 2550 people with vision impairments every year. Your support makes a real difference to seniors wishing to remain in their homes, adults needing to return to work, teens wondering about their future, and children and babies whose parents would have nowhere else to turn.
If this is your first time visiting the Lighthouse website, welcome, and thank you for considering a gift.
If you are returning to update your pledge, or honor or memorialize someone special, thank you.
For assistance, or to arrange a visit, please call Jose Lopez Masso at 954-463-4217, extension 141.
There are several ways to make a gift, including:
- An outright gift of cash or securities
- A gift in memory or honor of a loved one
- A bequest through your will
- A planned gift, such as a gift annuity
- Signing up for AmazonSmile
Where does my money go?
We’re glad you asked! As a top-rated non-profit by both Charity Navigator and GuideStar, you can be assured that your gift will be used to directly help our clients achieve their goals for independence. Some examples include:
- $5,000 – will cover specialized low vision exams and prescribed devices for 20 students with low income who have a severe visual impairment
- $2,500 – will provide seasonal activities boxes for 20 youth who will participate in our 2021 winter camp that will offer respite for families during the holiday recess
- $1,500 – will help us purchase three (3) new braille writing machines that clients can use for distance learning
- $1,000 – pays for 15 safe travel mobility-training sessions to help prevent senior falls and injuries (such incidents cost the nation more than $1 billion a year in hospitalizations)
- $600 – will provide four weeks of instruction in a vital skills for maintaining independence: either Braille, safe travel, diabetes management, cooking, managing finances, or technology, all currently taught remotely
- $500 – pays to print 300 LHOB Annual Impact Reports to assist us in telling our story
- $250 - provides 5 hours of assistive technology training, the pathway to literacy, and full competitive employment for a blind or visually impaired adult
- $150 - provides a survival kit created for individual needs. Includes white cane with specialized tip, talking watch, bold markers, bold print paper, whole spectrum task light, large numbered talking alarm clock, oven gloves, contrasted cutting board, large print calendar, oversized playing cards, bump dots, etc
- $100 - provides a low vision exam to a visually impaired child or adult
- $100 - covers one hour of specialized training for a baby and their families to provide sensory development and guidance leading to entry into regular classrooms at age 6
- $50 - provides a client with a talking watch
- $50 - provides a client with a white cane complete with a specialized tip
- $25 - provides a client with a full spectrum task light
- $25 - provides a client with a handheld voice recorder
- $10 - provides a client with a bold marker and bold print paper
- $10 - provides a client with a large print calendar
To make a gift to the Lighthouse of Broward, you can Donate Online, or call our development department at 954-463-4217, extension 141. Your call will be confidential and without obligation. We will not sell or trade a donor's personal information to any other entity in existence unless we receive written permission from the donor. Your gift information will be completely secure and confidential.
If you would like to mail a donation, send your check to:
Lighthouse of Broward
Lois L. Deicke Center
650 N. Andrews Avenue
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33311
Please be sure to use our legal name when making a bequest or planned gift:
The Lighthouse of Broward County, Inc.
The Lighthouse of Broward County, Inc. is an official charity, 501 (c) 3, registered and recognized by the IRS. Our Tax ID is: 59-1650909. Contact the Lighthouse of Broward County, Development Office (954) 463-4217 for a copy.
Here are other ways you can support our agency:
- State of Vision License Plate
- Donate a CCTV (Video Magnifier) or other electronic equipment
- Volunteer Now
- Download our most recent audit - FYE 06/2021
- Download our most recent 990 form - FYE 06/2021
- View the Donor Bill of Rights
- More information about our Board and Organization
A copy of the official registration and financial information may be obtained from the division of consumer services by calling toll-free 1-800-435-7352 within the state. registration does not imply endorsement, approval, or recommendation by the state. the lighthouse of Broward County, charitable registration number sc-00197, receives 100% of contributions.