Our David and Jean Colker KIDS Program serve children ages 6-13. Meets year-round on weekends and school holidays as well as summer camp. Activities include opportunities to learn age-appropriate safe outdoor travel, computers and other high-tech assistive devices, cooking and self-care techniques, and much more!
School Year Programming
- During the school year, instructors meet with students on school holidays and select weekends. Students are served in a group and/or individual setting, based on their needs. Activities include:
- Opportunities to learn age-appropriate safe outdoor travel
- Braille or use of magnifiers and other low vision devices to assist in reading and writing efficiently
- Computers and other high-tech assistive devices
- Cooking and self-care techniques
- Recreational activities provide the opportunity to interact with other children and successful visually impaired adults who serve as role models.
Family Support Group
All students in The David and Jean Colker KIDS Program and their families are invited to participate in Family Activities throughout the year. The purpose of these events is to allow families to connect with each other, learn more about advocating for their child, and for the whole family to develop techniques to cope with having a child with a visual impairment. Some of the events include:
- Valentine’s Party
- Beeping Egg Hunt
- Back to School Bash
- National Blind Sports Day
- White Cane Day
- Fall Festival
- Holiday Party
The David and Jean Colker KIDS Program is a year-round program for children ages 6 through 13. Students attending the camp have to meet the requirements of the program. During the camp, students participate in hands-on:
- STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Mathematics) activities
- Reading lessons (including Braille and the use of low vision devices)
- Cooking Lessons
- Adapted Sports
Each week, students utilize the skills they are learning to be more independent during field trips. Past field trips have included Science Museums, Water Parks, Tri-Rail trips, Surfing Lessons, and Ropes Course at Broward College.