November 30, 2021, GivingTuesday
Joyous Independence: Empowering blind and visually impaired seniors
Our GivingTuesday Campaign Joyous Independence: Empowering the blind and visually impaired will generate support for seniors who live with blindness or visual impairment. Give the gift of INDEPENDENCE this GivingTuesday. Please support our Vital Living program for seniors who learn skills to enhance their quality of life, the ability to live self-sufficiently and participate in the community.
Here Are Some Ways You Can Support Our Programs:
- $5,000 – will cover specialized low vision exams and prescribed devices for 20 indigent students with severe visual impairment.
- $2,500 – will provide seasonal activities boxes for 20 youth who will participate in our 2021 winter camp that will offer relief for families during the holiday recess.
- $1,500 – will help us purchase (3) new braille writing machines that clients can use for distance learning.
- $1,000 – pays for 15 safe travel mobility-training sessions to help prevent senior falls and broken hips (such incidents cost the nation more than $1 billion a year in hospitalizations).
- $600 – will provides four weeks of instruction in a vital skill for maintaining independence: either Braille, safe travel, diabetes management, cooking, managing finances, or computers, all currently taught remotely.
- $500 – will fund (10) weeks of virtual fitness classes for 25 blind or visually impaired adults and seniors living with diabetes.
- $500 – pays to print 300 LHOB Annual Impact Reports.
- $250 - provides 5 hours of assistive technology training, the pathway to literacy, and full competitive employment for a blind or visually impaired adult.
- $150 - provides a survival kit created for individual needs. Including white cane with specialized tip, talking watch, 20/20 pens, bold print paper, whole spectrum task light, large numbered, talking alarm clock, oven gloves, contrasted cutting board, large print calendar, oversized playing cards, bump dots, etc.
- $100 - provides a low vision exam to a visually impaired child or adult.
- $100 - covers one hour of specialized training of a baby and the parents to provide sensory development and guidance leading to entry into regular classrooms at age 6.
- $50 - provides a client with a talking watch
- $50 - provides a client with a white cane complete with a specialized tip
- $25 - provides a client with a full spectrum task light
- $25 - provides a client with a handheld voice recorder
- $10 - provides a client with a 20/20 pen and bold print paper
- $10 - provides a client with a large print calendar.