The Beacon Newsletter January-March 2017
December 19-January 2: Lighthouse of Broward Closed to clients.
- January 2 (Monday): Lighthouse of Broward Closed for New Year’s Day.
- January 3 (Tuesday): Lighthouse of Broward reopens to clients.
- January 3 (Tuesday): The BFF group will meet at La Bamba Restaurant on 4245 N Federal Hwy. 12:00pm-3:00pm. Call Sharon Meikle at 954-842-8825 for more information.
- January 16 (Monday): Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day Lighthouse of Broward is closed.
- February 10 (Friday): You are invited to attend Temple Kol Ami-Emanuel in Plantation for the 25th Anniversary of their Liheyot Group (people living with disabilities.) There will be a service that people with disabilities will be participating in and an Oneg to follow the service. Service begins promptly at 7:30pm -9:30pm. This is similar to the White Mass that we participate in during the month of November. People from all faith traditions are welcome. Please contact Dolores McDiarmid if interested in attending. 954-684-6708
- February 14 (Tuesday): The BFF group will host a Valentine’s Day Luncheon in the Lighthouse Dining room, 12:00pm-2:00pm Call Sharon Meikle at 954-842-8825 for more information.
- February 16 (Thursday): Annual Alumni Fundraiser at Bobby Rubino’s. Stay tuned for further details.
- February 20 (Monday): Lighthouse of Broward Closed for President’s Day.
- March 10 (Friday): All Staff In-Service Day. The Lighthouse will be closed.
- March 17 (Friday): The BFF group will meet at Flanigan's Bar & Grill at 2190 S University Dr. Call Sharon Meikle at 954-842-8828 for more information.
REGULAR MEETINGS JANUARY, FEBRUARY & MARCH
- Blinded Veterans Association 10:00am -11:30am in the board room. Tuesday: January 10th, February 14th & March 14th. To RSVP contact Scott Siegel 954-326-1706.
- BFF Social Group meeting 1:00pm-2:30pm Tuesday: January 10th, 17th, 24th & 31st, February 7th, 14th, 21st & 28th, & March 7th, 21st & 28th.
- Broward Council of the Blind meeting in Room 20 3:00pm-5:00pm. Tuesday: January 10th, February 14th & March 14th. The BCB President Dolor Ginchereau can be contacted at 954-473-0185 (home) or 954-616-7473 (cell).
- Lifetime Learners 10am-12pm Friday, January 13th “101 Ways to Live Your Life to Its Fullest”. Friday, February 10th “What Are Salt Rooms & How Can We Benefit From Using Them?”
- Trivia Club 10am-12pm in the Boardroom: Friday, January 6th, February 3rd & March 3rd.
- Alumni Association Meeting 10am-12pm in the board room Friday: January 20th & March 17th. There will be no meeting in February.
- Arts & Crafts Club meet in the dining room 12:30pm-2pm. Friday: January 6th & 20th, February 3rd & 17th & March 3rd & 17th.
- Book Club 10am-12pm in the conference room. Friday, January 27th book selection is Defending Jacob by William Landay. Friday, February 24th book selection is The Secret Chord by Geraldine Brooks. Friday, March 31st book selection is The Wright Brothers by David McCullough. Please contact Ellen Meyers at 954-922-7360 for more information.
- Saturday Interfaith Group will meet in the LHOB Dining Area 10:30am-2:30pm. Saturday, January 21st “Blind Parenting/Blind Grand Parenting, February 18th “The Role of Faith & Friends in Dealing with Vision Loss or Time in Crisis”& March 18th (7th Birthday) “Where Have we Been and Where Do We Want to Go? Call Dolores to RSVP at 954-684-6708.
Reminders & Announcements
- Ansel Davis (BFF President) will be in California January 8-22, 2017 to receive his new guide dog. Beau will retire.
- In the case of a fire/emergency at Lighthouse of Broward we need to know who is in the building; therefore when coming into and leaving the building please inform the receptionist of your coming in and leaving the building. We appreciate your cooperation in helping to keep everyone safe.
- We are happy to announce that Dolores Hanley McDiarmid’s book Moved by the Spirit A Call to Work with People Living with Blindness and Visual Impairments is now available in print on Amazon.com under the book section. A percentage of each book sold goes to Lighthouse of Broward. Great for high school age and older. It will soon be available on Kindle. Any questions please contact Dolores at 954-684-6708.
*Friendly reminder: Clients and visitors are responsible
for scheduling transportation to LHOB*